Friday, May 23, 2008

Hop ons. You will have hop ons.

First off, I would like to welcome myself to the world of sports blogging.  Is anyone going to read this besides the 4 guys posting here... probably not.  Oh well.

As my fellow bloggers and I prepare to embark on a trip, in only a couple of hours, that will include visits to two major league parks, it got me thinking about the Milwaukee Brewers.  We at Quevedo at the Buffet all love the Brewers.  We are the "true" fans that always follow the team.  We argue amongst each other non-stop.  We dissect every little move made and we research things that have happened or need to happen (Emoney should have a doctorate at it at this point).  Back to thinking about the beloved crew.  I remember last year at this time that there were a lot of Brewers' fans.  I repeat, a lot of Brewers' fans.  People were so excited.  It was the 25th anniversary of an okay team that lost to a better team in the World Series.  (This still blows me away.  Would you see the Yankees celebrating the time they lost?  No way.  I know they have won... a lot... but still.  What does it say about your ball club, your city, when you celebrate the time you almost won something.  Imagine if this rule applied to everyday life.  We would have lonely men celebrating that one time 5 years ago they almost got laid.  You could celebrate that one time you almost got a job.  Celebrate that time when you almost won the battle of the bands... I digress.)

Back to my point.  There were a lot of Brewers' fans coming out of the woodwork last year.  That will happen when a team actually shows some life.  I remember being excited when we didn't have a losing record two seasons ago.  We didn't have a winning record, but hell, we didn't have a losing one either.  Now we get to the Hop ons.  Most people call them bandwagon fans, but I'm going to call them hop ons.  Why?  Because I think it is funnier, and I love the show Arrested Development.  I'm not a huge fan of hop ons, but they have their place.  They make our team sell more tickets, take in more revenue, and give away more interesting bobble-heads.  The one thing they do that I can't stand... dumb down the ballpark.  You've seen these fans.  Just go to any Cubs game.  They are everywhere.  They have no idea what inning it is.  No idea who is on the team.  No idea that you shouldn't do the wave...ever!  And no idea that they are a hop on.  Now, I hate to put every hop on in this category.  I will fully admit that I am a hop on for the Bucks.  If they are playing well I will watch more games.  Hell, I might even go to one in person.  But when they suck, I pay no attention to the NBA at all.  There is no way I could even tell you all the teams that made the playoffs this year.

Does this post have a point?  I'm not sure.  Part of me really wanted to type something so our creator wouldn't be the only one doing it.  Another part of me really wanted to type a post about hop ons.  Another part of me was just so excited about the trip to Detroit and Toronto this weekend that I couldn't sleep anymore.  I guess what I'm basically saying is that hop ons have their place.  Sure they do stupid things, but who doesn't.  Just please stop doing the wave.  Please.  I can handle hop on things like people pledging to pee their pants for the Brewers last year (now that was funny).  I can even handle some more stupid fans at the ball park... wait... I can't handle that one.  I guess I really have no good way to end this post, so I'll end it this way.

Hop ons.  You'll have hop ons.


1 comment:

Rubie Q said...

Let me channel Paul McGwire for a moment:

Lemme tell you something. You want to see dedication to craft? You want to see heart? You read this post right here. Just watch -- wham! This was written at 5:37 in the morning.

That felt good.