Thursday, June 5, 2008

Brett Lawrie Would Like To Be Your Buddy, Guy.

I don't know. After that whole "OK Blue Jays let's play ball" clusterfuck during the seventh inning of the game at Rogers Centre (or is it Rogres Centre? Might as well be consistent with that whole "r" before "e" thing), I'm not convinced that Canada fully understands what baseball is just yet. So I'm a bit skeptical about drafting a Canuck with our first-round pick.

But not nearly as skeptical as I was after reading this in the Brewers Blog on JSOnline:

His high school doesn't play baseball so he has shown his stuff with the touring Canadian team, showcases and workouts.

Seriously? His high school team doesn't play baseball? This made me pause. Because, well, we're expecting him to play baseball and all. I don't know, it might just be me.

Also got a kick out of this line:

He has drawn comparisons to Craig Biggio, the long-time catcher/2B with Houston who retired last year.

I think, as a general matter, it's stupid to try to compare draft picks to established pros. But it's especially stupid when the kid is an 18-fucking-year-old who plays baseball, which requires the most refined skill set of any professional sport. Just once, I'd like some transparency in the whole thing: he's 18. He swings the bat pretty good against other 18-year-olds who won't play professional baseball. We have no goddamn clue whether he's going to be any good. Does he remind me of anyone? Sure. Mackey Sasser.

4 comments:

Devil's Threesome said...

Mackey Sasser? Seriously? I'm hoping for Mickey Hatcher or Tim Teufel, or if we are really lucky...Dwight Smith. I think we should stick to drafting college guys. Outside of Prince (holy pedigree), we haven't had much luck with high schoolers.

Rubie Q said...

Agreed, at least not in the first three rounds. But we snagged Corey Hart in the 11th round in 2000. He worked out pretty well.

Devil's Threesome said...

Agreed Rubie. I really didn't finish my thought. I am all for taking flyers on high schoolers in later rounds, but the first couple of rounds should be reserved for college guys. I NEVER want to see the Crew draft another high school pitcher again.

Another random middling player: Luis Polonia.

Devil's Threesome said...

Centre
Honoured
Manuoevered
Stupid King's English. Get your pram off the escalator, mind the gap and quit snogging with that footballer's wife you wanker.