Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Random Musings...

How big was the CC trade? Really freaking big actually. Exhibit A is this four game series against STL. I know this is very basic, but because MC Lung gave us 5 good innings yesterday and we got the win, we are all but guaranteed a series split b/c CC and Sheeter are going the final two games. The 2nd game of a 4 game series at STL is a gravy day!! We also have Sheets and CC set up to pitch the first 2 games of the Cubs series next week. Talk about demoralizing for the visitors!

Home/Road Platoon?? I love this idea. MC Lung and Bushy's numbers tell the story here, hopefully that bears out the rest of the year. Everyone's fifth starter is crap and we have the opportunity to limit the crappiness with this move. It also provides some flexibility with the long reliever situation and frees up Villanueva. Anyone else notice that he's pitching later in games now? Much better option than the human gas can or Frenchie. Speaking of...

Stay of Execution Congrats to Bill Mota and Eric Gagne for receiving an 11th hour stay of execution last night. We know the night will come, it's only a question of when.

Rick Weeks - I'm Stumped Dude hits a 3 run run bomb and gets a clutch single in the top of the 11th. Also nearly chokes away the game for us in the field. How will he react to Durham being in the clubhouse? Ray-Ray says he wants to be a mentor, which I believe, how will The Rick react?

Bill Hall - The Wildcard I said this at some point, probably after several High Lifes, but if Billy gets hot in the second half and gives us 2 1/2 months of good ball, we're in the playoffs. I'm ready to pull the plug on the platoon and start Billy every day.

3 comments:

Rubie Q said...

Two comments, actually:

(1) The alternating 5th starter thing is beyond idiotic, even by King Ned's standards. Listen, it's no secret that I'm no fan of Dave Bush. I proclaim it loudly whenever I can. But even I will admit that Bush should be the 5th starter right now. You can't throw him in the 'pen on the road, then expect him to start at home. Starting pitchers are creatures of habit. You can't take them off the every-fifth-day routine; if you do, they act like a confused Pomeranian.

(2) Don't try to predict what Rickie Weeks will do in any situation, ever. I gave it up a month ago and I feel great. He's the most unpredictable, maddeningly-inconsistent player I've seen since...Brett Favre. Ugh.

FPMKE said...

I'm looking forward to Billy Brew getting hot. I know he's good for something (besides striking out and whining), that's why I pick him in the quarters game. Nobody really wants him around but when he's hot, big payouts!

Devil's Threesome said...

The only problem Rubie is that neither MC Lung or Bushy have EVER been in a groove over several starts. It's not like we're sitting JJ during one of his Incredible Hulk tears. It could be a disaster, but that's just slightly worse than what Dave Bush has done on the road.