Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A look back...

I've been meaning to type up this email for quite some time (like most of have) and now I actually have time.

First off, thank you Milwaukee Brewers.  Thank you for a great season and for making all of us (or most of us) sit through an entire season of baseball. DT3 said this last year, and it is so true.  We are not used to a 162 game season. We are usually out of it after 100 or so.  Last year we came close to going through the whole season, but we fell short.  This year looked to be heading the same way, but then a funny thing happened.  That funny thing was that we won games when we needed to.  We had 3 players step up and put his team on their backs.  The first of these three individuals is Prince Fielder.  As mush as we bagged on the big guy, we don't get to the promised land (playoffs were the promised land this season) if he doesn't start hitting on that road trip that saw us win 2 games.  He was the hottest hitter around during that trip and he carried that over to the home stand.  He had one really big hit during the home stand, but he also had a nice sac-fly and some other hits.

The second is of course Ryan Braun.  Everyone's favorite member of the tribe really manned up and said follow me folks.  I have never been witness to such a great show put on by a single man.  This man had 2 gigantic hits (possibly 2 of the top 5 homers in Brewers history) in the span of 4 days.  He put the Crew on the grand slam board with the winner on the final Thursday of the regular season and then no one that watches the Brewers will ever forget what he did on Sunday.  He made it, without a doubt, the best Brewers game I have ever seen in person.

We all know the third gentleman... CC Sabathia.  There really isn't anything that I can type here that hasn't already been said.  We all know what he did for us and since I see no possibly chance of him staying (no matter what anyone says), I just need to thank him.  I wish I could give him a big man hug.  CC, if you are reading this, don't be afraid.  DT3 can let you know that I'm a good and gentle hugger.

Because of these 3 gentlemen, and a cast of others, we got to have playoff baseball here in Milwaukee.  The scene on Saturday was unlike anything I have ever seen before.  I always wondered what this baseball town was capable of, and Saturday showed us all.  The game wasn't the best or most exciting game.  The fans made it the most exciting game though.  I don't think anyone sat down during that first inning.  My boy, Dave Bush, manned up and pitched the game of his life.  He set the proper tone by striking out the first two batters and really not looking back.  Reid and myself deserve some sort of prize for sticking up for this guy all year.  He may stumble at times, but I love me some Dave Bush (Bushy, you can have a man hug too).  I remember that feeling as Salomon Torres finally got that third out.  26 years of playoff drought had finally ended with a win at home.  We didn't get swept.  We won a playoff game.  It was great to sit there and just soak it in.  I felt like crying tears of joy.  It was even better than the feeling I had when the Mets lost on Sunday, and I didn't think that was possible.

The scene in the parking lot afterwards was the stuff that legends are made of.  I saw one man give about 5,000 high fives (and if that's an exaggeration, it's not by much) and happy Brewers fans streaming out and just singing, laughing, drinking, partying, drinking, taking pictures, taking pictures of people drinking, taking pictures of people high fiving, taking pictures of the awesome car that we had a part in (if you haven't seen it, you must).  There is no way any of us can do justice to what was going on.

When we left after losing on Sunday I can't even say that I was upset.  I sucked to lose that game, but that fact that we won one game, made that sting pretty much non-existent.  This team has done two things.  They have made a baseball town proud again and they have hopefully allowed this organization to stop sucking the dick of the 1982 team.  The current team hates wearing those uniforms.  They are bad luck and they suck.  Hopefully they won't go through the same thing in another 25 years because we will not have changed our look again.  Seriously, this current uniform is badass.  Leave it alone (unless you put the word Milwaukee on the front of the away jerseys... I'm fine with that change.).

To end this ridiculously long post, all I can say is thank you. It's too bad that our season ended the way it did, but it was way better than the way it ended the last 26 years or so.  This is a great thing to build on and I can't wait until next season.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: