Thursday, November 20, 2008

Class of 2010 committment

Per Todd Rosiak, Marquette has already received an oral committment for the class of 2010. Aaron Bowen, a 6'5" 185 lb shooting guard out of Jacksonville, Fl has decided to attend MU. I am a bit perplexed by this myself. According to the article, Bowen is an under the radar recruit because he hasn't played much recently due to a knee injury that he re-aggravated before the summer AAU circuit began. In being optimistic: 1)I like his size: 6'5" SG that is alledgedly athletic and a slasher type player. Word is that he can also play the point as well as slide to the 3, so he seems versatile. 2) Being that he is only 16, he could very likely still be growing and tack on a couple of inches and pounds before his freshman year. So the trend of adding size to our program continues to be the theme here 3)While his only other scholarship offer to this point was from jacksonville, he was receiving interest from Florida and Virginia Tech as well. Interest doesn't really mean much, but considering he has only played 2 years of high school ball, has been hurt, and is already taking notice by some quality schools says there is definite potential with this kid. What I don't like about this is his injury history. The guy is 16 and already has a knee problem, reagravated it this summer and had it scoped before the AAU circuit began. So what's going to happen as the competition level increases and he puts more stress on it every day? That being said, we already have injury issues so I don't see why we decide to offer to an "under the radar" recruit 1 year before the early signing period begins for that class. We still have over a year to scout and recruit these guys, so when we just start getting interest from big time prospects such as Snaer, Wilson, Colvin, Maymon, Cadougan, etc., why do we go out on a limb and offer to a young guy with a pretty serious injury history? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me with the success that the coaches have had in their first 6 months of recruiting. I believe Dale Layer was the head man on this, whom was also the head man with the Roseboro finding (which seems to be a diamond in the rough type player), so he must have had his eye on Bowen for some time and is seeing something that other schools aren't at this point. I hope he knows what he's doing in this case.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that we only have 2 scholarships to offer for that class. This would leave us with 1 to spare, and we are still in need of another PG and/or a "quality" big man. I know we have added a ton of size already with McMorrow, O'Tule, and Roseboro, but they all seem to be more project material than anything. I would like to see us land a quality and "true" 5 some day. I know that they are few and far between but it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

6 comments:

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

We've got 2 more to get to 13 if you check out this scholarship table. Plus we don't necessarily need any PG...we have Junior Caudagan and Buckys. Only need 2 PG. Plus we have O'Toole and McMorrow as big bodies, so we could use another.

have faith $$! are you going to be hunting this weekend or coming to UWM game?

EMoney said...

I will be hunting....but in Ohio. I was thinking the UWM game was the following Saturday, so unfortunately I will not be able to witness the thrashing that we will lay upon them....it's not even on ESPN Full Court....sux! Oh well, maybe there will be an entertaining game on the BTN that I can watch sat night (I hear Northwestern is going to be tough this year).

I was thinking that the scholarships available were from Cubillan and Hazel, but I suppose Acker will be the 3rd. Yeah we have Cadougan of course, but I think Buycks is more of a 2 than a 1. Not to mention, what happens if he gets hurt? It won't be as bad as having Joe Chapman run the point, but I think that we need a 3rd legitimate ball handler and distributor aside from Cadougan and Buycks.....which is why Colvin was still on our radar of late. Whatever, I trust what the staff is doing so I'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the class pans out(which may not be for another 12+months....weird).

Devil's Threesome said...

E - the UWM game has been put on Full Court, so you should be able to see it now.

EMoney said...

I hope you're not F-ing with me D3 'cuz that would be outstanding!

Any thoughts on the Tennessee game 'round here?

Devil's Threesome said...

I shit you negative! It should be on according to both boards.
I can't do the Tennessee game. I need to conserve my vacation days with the wedding coming up.

EMoney said...

That's actually good to hear because I'm kind of in the same boat. It's too bad it's not over the weekend.

Props to Seton Hall for beating SoCal last night. Are they going to be a surprise team this year?