Thursday, December 4, 2008

Actual Predictions

So what does everyone here REALLY think is going to happen on Saturday? While we have only lost 1 game thus far, and essentially blown out all other opponents, I can't help but feel unimpressed by this team. I have no explanation for this however. In years past, I remember a handful of times when these guys were having trouble with cupcakes at the BC and sometimes even lost. So why is it that, aside from the Dayton game, we are winning by an avg. margin of 20ish points this year, yet I am disappointed in the performance? Do we have too high of expectations for these guys? Are they actually playing pretty well, yet we nitpick details because of our investment and loyalty to them? I don't know. So to answer my own question above, I feel that because of my current view of the team, I don't foresee the outlook to be very good on saturday. My prediction is that Wisconsin eventually wins the game 77-71. I know, I'm sorry! Maybe I'm a pessimist, but after watching both teams play thus far, I feel that they are clicking much better than we are at this point. As I stated in my previous post, I feel that our starters are better than theirs but when it comes to depth we can't touch them. And to further that point, once we get past our starters, the drop off is as steep as anyone can imagine for a competitive D1 team. And to make things worse, somehow Dwight Burke has gotten worse over 4 years some how. It sux! So, I think that is our Achilles Heel and will be our downfall on Saturday. In order to reverse our fate, I think that Dwight Burke and David Cubillan are key. If the 2 of them can step up with Dwight rebounding great and playing solid D and David hitting some open jumpers (quit fucking doing the Dominic James drift on your follow through!), we stand a great shot to win the ball game.........something not totally out of the realm of possibility.

I will say that after watching the Central Michigan game on Tuesday night that 1) while Burke's stats weren't eye opening, he started showing signs of improvement, had some nice offensive moves and aggressiveness, but had some unfortunate calls against him because of it. But I liked his effort and 2) Jimmy Butler also looks like he is becoming more comfortable and therefore more aggressive on both ends of the floor. He was posting up and taking the ball to the hoop a lot. And made a nice read which lead to a steal on the defensive end.

I hope the rest of you are more confident than I. What are your thoughts?

16 comments:

Zone Defense is for Pussies said...

I don't understand all the pessimism from Marquette fans... yeah I wasn't at all thrilled with the teams performance on Saturday night...but we looked pretty damn good against Northern Iowa the day before and we are taking care of business during the cupcake portion of the schedule. The team's getting used to a new offense and defensive mentality, a new coach, a bunch of new players with new roles and not to mention 2 of our key contributors this year are hurt. So all in all I think we are sitting ok at 6-1 and hopefully that Dayton loss doesn't look so bad at the end of the year. Am I completely confident in this team? No not completely but if they play smart and their style of ball it could be a massacre on Saturday. Also, don't under estimate the effect of the home court and Wes' last game against Bucky.

MU-81
Bucky-70

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I think we win on Saturday. I think Burke has the type of game he had last year against Bucky. I hope the Central Michigan game is the turn around for him. That put back dunk was ridiculous. I have an unhealthy man-crush on him, but he can turn it around. I also think Acker could be a bigger key than Cooby. With his quickness, he could shred the D if he can keep a handle on the ball. His shot has also looked decent this year.

Oh, and let's hope Hazel wasn't a dick in practice the past couple of days so we can actually play 9 guys on Saturday.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

Oh... I should have guessed a score. MU 78 Wis 64.

Which 2 key contributors are hurt? Are you calling Fulce and Otule key contributors? Is it because of their position? I don't think of them as key contributors.

EMoney said...

I'm not totally pessimistic regarding Marquette this year. Regarding this game however, our strengths and weaknesses do not match up well with Wisconsin's. Going into the Central Michigan game we were something like 245 in the nation in defensive field goal percentage and ppg, and at the same time not shooting outstanding ourselves (I don't know where we ranked there). That being said, against Wisconsin, a team that's patient and shoots the ball extremely well on the offensive side, and defensively they are extremely disciplined and will be one of the better defensive teams that we play all year (UConn, Pitt, U of L aside).....it just doesn't match up well for us. I think that regardless of who wins that it will be close.

So did anyone hear why Hazel didn't play on Tuesday?

Phil, can I put 1 miller lite on Wisconsin to cover?

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

1 Miller Lite is on the line. You decide if it's tap, bottle, can, or boot.

Hazel didn't play because apparently he didn't practice well. Whatever that means. In the post-game on 540 Buzz said that he learned his lesson and would be back.

Zone Defense is for Pussies said...

perhaps I should clarify...key contributors off the bench. I don't think they are saviors, but would have added to our depth.

Zone Defense is for Pussies said...

$-Yeah Bucky causes match-up problems for but we also cause match-up problems for them as well. If, as you stated earlier this week, we use the soft full court pressure to run some 8 seconds off the shot clock they can't get into the normal grove they get into with the swing...and if we rebound (despite our size disadvantage) and get the ball headed down the other way in transition and get good lay-ups or kick outs for 3 we'll be fine. It all comes down to tempo. If we score 80 we win, if we score 60 we lose.

EMoney said...

I agree with the scoring....the higher the score is, the better chance we have. Well, I'm glad that you guys are optimistic.

1 bottle would be fine Phil

Zone Defense is for Pussies said...

what will the line be? I say MU by 1 or 2. Probably a pick'em on neutral court give us 2 for being at home.

EMoney said...

BTW - I think that the soft press is a must on saturday. I think that the rotation that we saw on Tuesday may have been a sign of things to come. We know we can't match up on size with Bucky, so rather than attempt to match up with them, go completely opposite and get smaller yet. I think that taking out the 5 and replacing with Cubillan/Acker could potentially cause them fits. One thing that was evident on Tuesday was how gassed Cent.Mich was in the 2nd half. That might play into our strategy on Saturday. Run like hell in hopes of wearing them down. We know they can't run with us. I love this matchup! It's such a freakin' chess match and I am curious to see what Buzz decides to do with the lineup. I can't wait.

Reid You Animal! said...

There were a couple things that I noticed during the CMU game that I liked. 1) I said this to everyone during the game but I'll say it again: Our perimeter defenders need to play position more and worry less about getting steals. There's no reason guys should be blowing by us and getting to the rack like they did Saturday, and for the most part Tuesday they did that (with the exception of Jerel). 2) We were very efficient with the 3-ball. 4-9 isn't eye popping, but there's no reason for us to be jacking up 3's all the damn time. Attack the hoop and good things will happen. 3) Free throw attempts and free throw makes. Both were encouraging. If we make 31 FTs against anyone in the country I like our chances.

EMoney said...

I predict Mu -2.5. Anything closer than that, I'm sure many would bet on MU and push the line down anyway.

Reid You Animal! said...

OH, I almost forgot. Dominic James had a helluva game Tuesday as well. 15 pts on 5-9 shooting, 4-7 from the stripe, 1-1 from 3, with 5 dimes, 7 boards, and only 1 turnover. If he puts up a line like that Saturday, look out Bucky. And you gotta think that he will, especially given what happened last year. I hope he takes a hard, semi-cheap foul early in the game just to assure our victory.

And as far as matchups go, who does Bohannon guard? McNeal? James? Yeah right! I say whoever he is attempting to guard gets attacked repeatedly, even if they rotate over nicely (which they will), that's gonna create openings elsewhere, and guys will get some good looks... Lazar from the corner for 3?

It's going to come down to us staying out of foul trouble, and closing out on shooters, and limiting 2nd chance opportunities. I'll go with the up-tempo team, the upper-classmen and the home court in this one. Marquette wins 81-76.

EMoney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Reid You Animal! said...

Surprised to see me? Just stopping by to throw my 2 cents in on this most festive (and ulcer causing) event. Now I have a Clark Griswold get up to buy... see you bitches tomorrow.

EMoney said...

BTW - if any of you cracka's here got Jamie C. for Secret Santa, I pray that you got Marquette gear of some sort for him. Last year, he was luckily enough to get me and of course he got me a bunch of Badger stuff so I hope that we can repay him. Does he not know that I will not wear Communist Red? Does he not know that Russia surrendered and the Cold War is over? Does he not know that Tom Hanks ended the Cold War by arming the Afghans? It's true, I saw it in Charlie Wilson's War the other day. Did you guys know that Julia Roberts was a minute-woman? Weird.