Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Big Apple....Big Joke!!!!

Not that it's a shocker, but it looks like CC is going to accept the Yankees offer of roughly 7 years 160 mil. 7 YEARS! First off, I'd like to say thank you to little Steinbrenner. What a tool! I mean does he honestly believe that the Yanks are going to get 7 years out of Sabathia? Do they realize that the Brewers just rented him for 3 months and drove him like I would a rented Ferrari? I would beat the piss out of it, just like Ned did CC. Sure he's only 28 and probally won't drop off as fast as Pedro did in New York, but I can't imagine he will go injury free much longer.....especially in the American League that doesn't go to the pen as quickly as the NL. And they wonder why Boston has made them their bitch this decade......Boston manages their organization smart, while New York thinks they're in some sort of beauty contest. While Boston is letting guys like Nomar and Manny Ramirez go, New York is consistently wasting big time money on guys like Pavano, Kevin Brown, Giambi, Abreu, and now Sabathia. The strange thing is that when the Brewers offerred $100 mil over 5, NY offerred $140 mil over 5. Now I'm not a business major, but when I'm negotiating and I know that someone offers 100, I would probably come back with 105 or 110.....not 140. It's like they just want to say to everyone else that they have the biggest c*ck.

I also want to say that I'm somewhat glad that the Brewers didn't re-sign him. Sure it would have been great to have him at the top of our rotation, and it brings that much more excitement to the organization, but I think that our reach was farther than our grasp in this situation. I understand and applaude Attanasio for trying to compete with the big boys, but let's be realistic. If we give him 5 years and he goes Ben Sheets on our ass over the final 3, we are absolutely screwed. We can't afford to pay guys like that and not have them on the field all year. And I suspect that he will begin to have injury issues soon. Most pitchers do at some point......especially those that throw as hard as he does. We have too many holes to fill to go out and throw all of that cash at one guy. I would rather strengthen our bullpen and potentially go after some different starters at this point. It's a big year for free-agency in the MLB, so maybe Melvin has something else up his sleeve. If he was willing to go that far for CC, maybe he'll make some other big move. Hopefully it involves blocking the deal that sends Peavy to the Cubs. That makes me want to vomit!

7 comments:

Rubie Q said...

Having to bid against the Yankees in free agency is like trying to play Hold 'Em against a guy who has $10,000 in chips while you've got $100 -- even if the situation isn't ideal (i.e., the other dude doesn't have the best hand), he can still afford to make the pot too expensive for you to compete. I'm not sure that analogy worked, but whatever.

As Sean Avery would say: "Enjoy our sloppy seconds, NYC!"

Reid You Animal! said...

Not only are you playing poker against the dude with $10,000, but you're playing against the dude who raises the pot to an astronomical price then, while everyone scratches their heads and wonders what the fuck to do, comes back and raises AGAIN without anyone else having acted. There's only one option there... Fold. The Yankees wanted to scare everyone else away early and they did exactly that. Well played I say. Fuck it, it's just monopoly money to them.

Reid You Animal! said...

Besides all of that, I want people who are bad mouthing CC as a sell out or a greedy bastard to shut the hell up. Let's see you walk away from $60,000,000.00. Besides, we all knew this was the deal when he came to Milwaukee in July. He came here, pitched super-human for 2 1/2 months and got us to a place most of us have never seen. I say thank you CC, congratulations and I hope you have a ton of success in NYC. I hope your team blows, but I hope you pitch awesome... Like Steve Carlton for most of his career.

Devil's Threesome said...

wha wha? Seriously? People in MKE are badmouthing CC? Where? On the moronic jsonline blogs? Or is it on my arch-nemesis: WSSP? Fucking retards.

Reid You Animal! said...

You guessed it my friend. WSSP, the enemy of common sense in sports had a healthy dose of idiots today. Though, that's not really any different than any other day (on-air "talent" included).

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I bet they also threw in that the music guy at Miller Park sucks too for good measure.

Rubie Q said...

The funny thing is, if we offered 5 years, $110 mil, the per-year value of the contracts are roughly equal: $22 million per vs. $23 million per. Kind of blows my poker analogy out of the water.