Monday, February 23, 2009

A Conundrum.

This is the single instance when I will admit to feeling some sympathy for an official.

Say you have two teams -- for simplicity's sake, let's refer to them as "Michigan State" and "Wisconsin." And let's say that the coaches of these two teams both have a tendency to question every single call that an official makes; each man, apparently, is of the firmly-held opinion that his team has never committed a foul.

Now, add this to the mix: both of these teams are comprised, almost exclusively, of hacks. A basketball game involving either stands a good chance of devolving into a wrestling contest. (Apologists for the conference these two teams play in -- let's call it the "Big 11" -- will tell you both teams play good defense. Also: 94% of the apologists for this "Big 11" conference lived underneath power lines as children. The other 6% were dropped on their heads as infants.)

So, there's your situation: two teams that foul on damn-near every possession. Two coaches who go ape-shit any time there is a foul called against them, one of them making comical "I'm a mean badger!" faces and the other stomping on the floor like he's a "Riverdance" extra.

Good luck and God bless.

7 comments:

EMoney said...

Question: Am I the only 1 that thinks it's completely absurd that Michigan St. is ranked as the 5th best team in the nation? That should change when the polls come out today after their loss at Purdue last week, but I doubt that will drop them out of the top 10.

Devil's Threesome said...

I'm so disappointed that I didn't see the meltdown. Zone informed Kirby, Sheets and I that the Badgers were up 10 at the College Ave Park N Ride. As we headed down to the Blackhawks game (more on that later), we switched on the radio between Racine (proud home of Caron Butler and Reid) and Knowhere. In that short time frame, the Badge not only spit up their lead - there were down by 12!

Unfortunately for us MU athletic supporters, UW really need to win the game. It would have been a good RPI boost and knocked MSU down in the seeding. I HATE MSU this year, they are so fucking overrated. Cumstains...

Devil's Threesome said...

It's the media infatuation with that short little Izzo character. They are overrated every fucking year!! I actually agree with BadgerManiac fans on this one. Bad sign fellas.

Rubie Q said...

As you might expect, the game was very painful to watch -- all the grabbing, clutching, over-the-backing, compounded by Izzo acting like an absolute lunatic on the sideline (and it didn't help that ESPN showed his reaction to every single fucking call that was made during the game), with healthy amounts of Bo doing his sarcastic applauding-in-the-official's-face crap.

Oh, and Trevon Hughes launching a number of contested threes as the shot clock was set to expire. And Lt. Krabbenhoft failing to grab a single board while playing power forward.

Big 11 fever. Get your inoculations now.

Rubie Q said...

Andy Glockner (late of ESPN, now with SI.com) has as a 3 seed in the East region. First-round matchup with ND State (clever bastard), then Cal in the second round. Michigan State in the Sweet 16, then Carolina in the Elite Eight.

Yes, please. Where do I sign up?

EMoney said...

Speaking of projections, I thought everyone here would enjoy Lunardi's latest bracketology which pegs MU as a 3 seed playing Vermont, which would then have us playing the winner of the 6/11 game of Texas vs Wisconsin. Not possible, but interesting to think about. I don't know whether or not I would enjoy playing the Badgers in the tourney.

I also would like to thank Lunardi for finally coming to his senses and dropping Xavier and Kansas from 3 seeds. This brings me to my poll of the day: Of the following teams, Michigan St, Xavier, Kansas, and Memphis, which team is the most overrated at this point?

Devil's Threesome said...

Xavier without a doubt. They got BLASTED by Duke in their only big time game, they lost at home to a freshman laden Butler team and got their doors blown off at Dayton. Soft!!

MSU is the second most overrated. Top 5 (!) teams don't lose at HOME to Penn fucking State and Northwestern.

I think Memphis is legit, they've been too good in the past couple of years for me to doubt them.

KU is pretty good too. Aldrich is not a pretty player, but he gets it done. They've really improved as the year has worn on.