Monday, March 9, 2009

Greetings From Arizona, Bitches!

First, my apologies to FPMKE for not dissecting MikeHunt's most recent shit sandwich.  Kudos to Sheets' Va Jay Jay for ably pinch hitting.  Reading over that column and Pooter's post, I was struck by two things: (1) MikeHunt owning a rat terrier is, officially, the least surprising thing I have ever heard; and (2) as I wrote when MikeHunt started blogging, I can't believe that he felt he needed a forum to relay more of his thoughts when he's turning in shit-tastic shit like that twice weekly.  

Anyway, hello from the northern outskirts of Phoenix, mein bitches.  We got back an hour or so ago from our first spring training tilt -- Giants vs. Crew in Scottsdale.

Quick hit thoughts from Rubie:

(1) Manny Parra looked good in four innings.  That said, when you're facing a line-up featuring somebody named Pablo Sandoval hitting third, you'd better look good. (Also: Mrs. Q found herself taken aback by Manny's suprising good looks.  I think it's probably just the flavor savor that he's rocking right now.)

(2) J.J. Hardy had a nice two-for-three day with two crisp singles off of Barry Zito, and turned in a dazzling play when he ranged to his right, made a backhand pick, and fired a dart to Prince to get the runner by a half-step.  He's also in mid-season form in terms of hotness, according to Mrs. Q.

(3) Prince has definitely lost weight, but he appears to be wearing the same size pants he wore at the end of last season.  There was a lot of room in the caboose of the pants, is what I'm sayin'.

(4) As you might expect, Chris Duffy heard his share of "DUFF MAN!" from the well-liquored, sun-baked Brewers contingent.  And he looked OK, too.

(5) Alcides Escobar is a lot taller than I thought he'd be.  He looks to be a legit 6'2" or so.  Lanky, incredibly smooth in the field, and unbelievably quick.  I want to go to that.

(6) The Giants are the oldest collection of players ever assembled.  Rich Aurilia?  Are you serious?  Is this his fourth tour of duty with the team?  And Edgar Renteria, Randy Winn, Bob Howry ... I think some of them have grandsons in the minors.

Next up is a Thursday game, with the Japanese WBC squad taking on the Cubs at Ho Ho Kam.  My only regret is that China didn't advance to the second round, because if the Cubs were playing China, I would have been able to explore the depths of my hatred for the Cubs by exploring this question: Would I cheer for Communism over the Cubs? 

Actually, that's not that hard.  Yes.  Yes, I would.


1 comment:

FPMKE said...

Make sure you put some sunscreen on your bald spot, fucker.