Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You're Certainly Not Making It Easy On A Fella.

Before the season started, I predicted that the local nine would finish 90-72 this season, and would claim the Wild Card for the second year in a row. This prediction represented something of a sea change from my typical "we're fucked, throw in the towel" outlook. (You might remember me from such films as "Rubie predicts 74-88 for the 2008 Brewers season" and "there's no way in hell we're winning the Wild Card" [released September 5, 2008].) For reasons I struggled to explain, I thought people were undervaluing this team.

Now, after the amazing clusterfuck that is the Brewers 2-6 opening week (or so), Old Rubie would have said: "Fuck it. I'm an idiot. These assholes will struggle to win 70 games."

And New Rubie would very, very, very, very, very much like to say that, too.

But, for the time being, I'm not pushing the red button. It's very tempting; I feel like a smoker who quit cold turkey, only to have some jackass deliver a crate of Lucky Strikes at my front door. But I'm not giving in ...

Yet.

6 comments:

EMoney said...

I for one am completely buying in to what we have seen thus far. What I predicted would hold us back has been even worse than expected. Averageing 6-7 walks per game (worst in the leage...by far) is in the words of George Steinbrenner, "IN-EX-CUS-ABLE!". These pitchers aren't good enough to continue to give 7 xtra base runners each game.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

The talking heads on the radio (are they still talking heads on radio?) are starting to blame Castro already. I'm not sure who is to blame, but something needs to be figured out soon. No one can throw strikes. That's weird.

EMoney said...

There really isn't anyone to blame. Castro can't walk the ball over the plate for these guys, they're pitchers, it's their job to throw strikes. It's not Suppan's fault that he is completely overrated and overpaid....he's just not that good. Gallardo and Parra are both good pitchers, but they're still young and shouldn't be required to carry the load at this point. If anyone is to blame it's upper management (Melvin/scouts). I can think of 3 good pitchers that have come out of our system (Sheets, Gallardo, Parra....does Villanueva count), and 0 closers. We lose CC and Sheets and expect Braden Looper to cover the wound? What a joke!

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

Castro can't be blamed at all. I find it hard to believe that someone could work with these pitchers for 2 months and destroy them. You could have Kenosha Mustache trying to get these guys to pitch like it's a softball game and he still wouldn't ruin them.

Pitching is so hit or miss. Villanueva used to be good, but I think we have another head case on our hands. Talk about losing it yesterday. He looked great in San Fran but has sucked in his two stints at home here. Weird.

Devil's Threesome said...

The pitching staff simply won't continue to be this bad. Unfortunately, as discussed yesterday, they don't have a very high ceiling. Things will balance out as the year goes on and the Brewers will end up right around .500. All bets are off if Braun has injury issues (he just doesn't look right).

EMoney said...

How could I forget? I blame Ned Yost for the issues!