Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bucks disappoint once again

Well, to nobody's surprise the Bucks have disappointed me again. Jennings may prove me wrong, and I hope he does, but I think our track record in judging talent has proven to be better than any Bucks GM over the past 2 decades. That being said, I'm sticking to my guns and predicting that this pick does nothing for us. In a few words - You've chosen....Poorly".

Just read some scouts reviews and I found the perfect way to sum up what could have been a longer post:

"I'm not sure how you take a kid without a real body of work that high," one NBA GM in Treviso said. "I know this is a weak draft, but are we really taking kids who have struggled to produce in college or Europe in the lottery? I'm all for upside, but it's ridiculous. If Jennings can't get on the floor in Italy, how does he help my team in the next couple of years? How do you take him over some really talented college kids who have proven they can play? Jonny Flynn, Ty Lawson, Steph Curry. Those guys are talented too and they have track records." Click here for the full story on Jennings

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hopefully some redemption will be made in the 2nd round.

9 comments:

White But Still Hip said...

I have to disagree here. This was an astonishingly shitty draft, why not go huge upside? So is we probably won't keep Sessions, but maybe we keep Charlie V. We'll miss the playoffs, but fuck it. We're the bucks. I'll still catch like three games.

Rubie Q said...

I'd like to thank the entire Bucks organization -- from the Good Senator on down -- for making my decision to not follow your team for another year an easy one.

Brandon Jennings? Really? The kid who's so dumb that he went to play ball in Italy for a year? The kid who's so dumb that he couldn't get to the Garden on time for the draft?

Who's gonna suck again next year? The Bucks! The Bucks!

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

and as the draft reached the second round we figured that the Bucks would make a good 2nd round choice (as they seem to have better success with 2nd rounders) and they pick Jodie Meeks. We could have traded for cash to get him with pick 59. As $ said last night if you are giong to pick an undersized 2G take McNeal.

I agree with Rubie...now I don't have to care about the Bucks. Jrue Holiday is an All-Star in 2 years for sure.

EMoney said...

Best line - If Jennings can't get on the floor in Italy, how does he help my team over the next couple of years?

Regarding McNeal, it might be better for him to go the FA route. That way he can go to a team that needs guard help.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

and the bucks need guard help right? what's the latest rumor of Luke Ridenour for Jerry Stackhouse. what the hell are we doing?

Rubie Q said...

Does Stack's contract expire at the end of this year? That'd be a reason to do it.

Master Reid said...

I believe Stack is an expiring deal. Clear out that cap space and make a run at Wade! (Yeah right)

As for the draft, here comes my annual "I'm ok with the pick" take. Which I always say, but don't always mean. That being said, I'm ok with this pick. They need a guy that can make things happen with the ball in his hands. I think he's a better pick than Holiday, or a push at worst. I don't know. I resigned myself to the fact that we were going to end up with Jennings a couple days ago, so I'm at peace with it I guess.

I'm more critical of the 2nd rounder. Meeks over Buddinger, McClinton, Calathes? It's too bad that Derrick Brown went right before us. This pick almost looks like that fantasy pick you make when Moongoose swipes the guy you were eye-balling the entire round, then you have to scramble and basically just go "uuuuhhh....ummm...I'll take... uuuhhh....that guy"

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

my thoughts exactly on Derrick Brown...but i knew he'd get taken right before us. Excellant analagy using Moongoose...if only Hammond could sort the the waiver wire to make us better.

EMoney said...

Well, I foresee the Meeks pick as insurance and flexibility with Michael Redd. There have been rumblings for a year about teams inquiring about Redd. If the Bucks were able to move Redd's 18 mil per, we would have enough bank to make a run at Lebron....not that we would or even have a shot at him....I'm just sayin' we would be financially able to afford a marquee FA.

I don't dislike the Meeks pick....he can shoot the lights out and is essentially a Michael Redd Clone.