Thursday, June 25, 2009

Final Draft Predictions

Draft day is finally upon us! Will the Milwaukee Bucks management team finally make a smart pick and turn their franchise around and in the right direction, or will they continue to chase the LA Clippers for the most god-awful run franchise in the NBA by swinging and missing on their lottery pick once again? Only time will tell.....check that.....we might very well know tomorrow whether they managed to pull off another blunder. Ahem-Earl-Clark-Cough!

Due to their recent dealing of Richard Jefferson to San Antonio, the team's immediate needs have shifted making our #10 pick even more wide open at this point. Milwaukee acquired more depth at the PF position and freed up a ton of cap space to possibly resign Charlie Villanueva and/or Ramon Sessions, however, they made the SF position an area of concern now. Last year's lottery selection, Joe Alexander, likely isn't ready to be an every day starter right now so there have been talks of trying to convince Ersan Ilyasova (who just turned 16 years old) to take a pay cut, leave the Euro-league, and play in the NBA. Whether or not this is going to happen is yet to be determined. That being said, what in the hell are the Bucks going to do this evening? I think that PG is still #1 on our list, but Hammond claims that they are going to select the best player available. So considering the complete unpredictability of this year's draft, what if Rubio, Flynn, Holiday, Evans, Curry, and Hill are all gone by the time the Bucks are on the clock? Do they select the best PG available, ie. Brandon Jennings, Jeff Teague, or Ty Lawson? Do they possibly select a SF, ie. Terrence Williams (who apparently is climbing the boards of late) or Demar Derozan? Or do they trade down?

I foresee Flynn and/or Holliday being available at #10. That being said, I would prefer Flynn but Jrue Holliday is a big PG (6'4") and is gaining a reputation as a lock down defender....something that I think both Skiles and Hammonds value immensely. It should be an interesting evening regardless and I pray that I don't put the remote through my TV when David Stern announces the Bucks selection (or trade).

11 comments:

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I'll be down at Summerfest when this happens. They are having a big draft party down there. I plan to be several beers in at this point and I can't wait for the crowd reaction. I expect more groans than happy sounds. Or it is entirely possible that everyone is confused by the pick/trade and doesn't know how to react. Except Freeway who will yell, "All right!" no matter what happens.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

i'm hoping Jordan Hill falls to us because there is a run on PG's and then we re-sign sessions and our Hill a 6'10 PF can line up along side Bogut.

i also agree that trading RJ to give money to Chucky V makes no sense. I hope the market for Chucky is horrible so that he has no choice but to sign a 2 year deal with the Bucks.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

plus rumor has it Steve Novak is looking for a new home...he could be a nice roll player for us.

EMoney said...

I completely agree with u, STG. Ideally, Hill drops to us so we don't have to overpay for CV (who I really don't like anyways). Then, we resign Sessions who really won't be that costly and try and draft another PG with our 2nd rounder. I like AJ Price in the 2nd round.

After checking out a # of mock drafts, very few have McNeal being drafted. It's always nice to see our guys get drafted, but in his case (along with Matthews) it might be best to go the FA route and sign with a team that has the biggest need for him.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

hell the bucks would be better off selecting Matthews/McNeal in the 2nd round if for nothing less than ticket sales, plus they'd both fill a need as PG/SG or SF.

Rubie Q said...

If the Bucks go Flynn and then Matthews, I might actually watch for 5 games next season.

EMoney said...

In regards to drafting one of the Marquette alums to boost ticket sales, I agree, but I don't think Matthews is worthy at #42. In fact, I don't foresee Matthews getting drafted at all. I would be really happy with McNeal in the 2nd. As I stated a month or so ago, a Big East backcourt of Flynn and McNeal would be fun to watch and make me tune in to games more often.

Master Reid said...

I have nothing to back this up, but I have a suspiscion the Bucks are going to end up with Jennings. I probably think this because I don't really want him, and the Bucks are great for picking the dude that no one really wants.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

there will be alot of teams trying to dump second rounders late for $$ reasons, maybe the Bucks can get one of those and pick Wes.

EMoney said...

You're definitely on to something Reid....

According to Yahoo!Sports, the latest draft buzz has reported that Bucks Coach Scott Skiles is pushing hard for Brandon Jennings. Ugh! I'm not a huge fan, but I'll take him over Earl Clark or some unknown foreigner not named Rubio.

Prediction Update: I think the TWolves are going to screw us somehow....either with one of their 2 picks at 5/6 or by allowing someone else to move in. Due to this, I predict that both Rubio and Curry are gone by #8 leaving the Knicks with Flynn, who is probably a good fit for them. Sh$t! That leaves Jrue Holliday or Brandon Jennnings for Milwaukee. In the end, I predict/hope we select Holliday. I'm not ecstatic with it, but I think he'll be a decent fit with our current roster.

EMoney said...

HOLY CRAP!

In other news, Mo Acker is going to forgo is senior season and focus on academics. That's crazy! Somewhat understandable, but still, that's crazy!