Monday, August 17, 2009

It's official!

So apparently Justin Harrell is thinking that his career might be over. If that is the case, might he be THE WORST first round draft pick in Packers history? I mean, we're talking Tony Mandarich bust-worthiness here. Just when Ted Thompson was beginning to earn a smiggen of approval from me due to his selections in this previous spring's draft, Mr. Harrell again goes on the injured list followed by the latest news that it might be career ending. Now to reiterate what I have already been over in previous years, I have nothing against Justin himself. The fact is that this guy hardly played in college and wasn't projected by anyone as 1st round worthy mainly due to his injury riddled college "career", yet Ted thought he was going to be smarter than everyone else (shocking) and drafted Harrell thinking that he was going to be a steal because he was simply overlooked due to his injury history. Oh how wrong he was. It looks like Harrell's phat contract got the Pack 34 total tackles......and I doubt if these were all solo. I don't know why I'm posting regarding the issue. I guess I've just had a pent up frustration from the very moment that Harrell's name was announced at the podium and not even Mel Kiper Jr. himself knew what to say (cue in sounds of shuffling papers in the background). So if Harrell truly is done, which pick was worse....Justin Harrell or Tony Mandarich?

5 comments:

You are a Baffoon said...

I go with Mandarich all day as being the worst. Considering what was passed up to take that Roid-Raging goon i.e. Barry Sanders, among others. Also the Packers were actually a good football team during Harrell's rookie season, even though he didn't really do anything to help win ball games. I really think the blame not only goes to Ted Thompson but his crack or shall we say on crack, scouting department, wtf kind of bullshit were they feeding him on draft day. At least we have time to pick someone off waivers before the season begins which is better than this thing dragging through the year and costing the pack ballgames. O and by the way, I was looking to jazz up my new living room with some fauna, maybe a Carribbean them with some type of palm plant, would you happen to know where I can find one on the cheap?

Rubie Q said...

Justin Harrell's 34 tackles are 16 more than Jamal Reynolds put up in his time as a Packer. Who drafted him, again?

EMoney said...

Yeah, I thought about including Jamal Reynolds in the poll but decided against it. Mandarich turned out to be a HUGE BUST, however, it's not as if it was a reach of a pick. TMand was hailed the greatest O-lineman of all time before he set foot in the NFL which is why I think Harrell (and possibly J.Reynolds) were worse picks.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I think $ has a great point there. Taking Mandarich wasn't really a reach. No one was speechless when they picked him. Some people, a lot of people, were actually excited for it. We cannot say that about Harrell.

Master Reid said...

Jamal Reynolds and Justin Harrell are 1 and 1A in terms of horrible draft picks. It might be an insult to Mandarich to even put him in the category with those 2. At leas he had something of a career to speak of. He just couldn't live up to the steroid fueled bar he set in college.