Thursday, September 10, 2009

Macha Watch for Thursday, September 10.

I said it on Tuesday, I'll say it again: with each passing day, and with every quote I read from Doug Melvin and Ken Macha, I become more and more convinced that Macha's gone after this year.

To recap the happenings to date: Macha gets a two-year contract, which, on its own, is kinda strange, since the Brewers are either going to have to extend him after year one or let him go into his second year as a lame duck; after the Great Housecleaning of '09, Melvin says (I'm paraphrasing) that Macha was blindsided by the moves, and then says that Escobar is up here to play, not ride the bench; and Macha decides that he's going to bat Corey Patterson lead-off, with Patterson (0-7, 4K, 1 GIDP) immediately showing why the move qualifies as a Trojan-ENZ Boner of the Week Award nominee.

Yesterday came two more pieces of evidence. The first is Macha's bizarre rationale for sitting Mat Gamel during the waning weeks of the season; Macha notes that Gamel "didn't have a good second half" at Nashville and says that he wants to see Gamel "get ... back in a groove" in batting practice before giving him consistent playing time. It's been repeated ad nauseam by certain contributors to this blog (myself and Reid, primarily), but Mat Gamel needs to play, right now, and every day thereafter. Trying to get him into a "groove" facing Chris Bosio in BP is, to put it bluntly, fucking stupid.

The second piece of evidence is related to the first. Melvin was asked if he's ordered Macha to play certain players as the Crew limps to the finish line (even though we already know he has, based on Melvin's previous comments about Escobar and Bourgeois being called up to play, not sit the bench), and it's not difficult to read between the lines in Melvin's response:
"I haven't ordered him to play guys at this point. We might sit down in a little bit, but I said we're trying to win games and gain some experience. ... To gain some experience here is fine. There may be a point where I'll say I'd like to see somebody play a little bit more. But it's not there yet."
Coming from your boss, "yet" is never a comforting word, no matter what line of work you're in.

Now, I know that firing Macha wouldn't exactly be fair, given that he was asked to win with Jeff Suppan and Braden Looper as two-fifths of his starting rotation, and given that Manny Parra is a headcase and Dave Bush got a boo-boo on his arm. (It should be pointed out, though, that Macha was billed as a pitcher's manager when he came on board. I'm just sayin', if Bill Castro gets axed for the staff being epically shitty, it's not fair to give Macha a total pass.) But I think it's going to happen. Who wants to bet for $1 (Canadian, of course)?

4 comments:

EMoney said...

What you speak of is very possible. I was highly skeptical about 4 weeks back, and still find it hard to blame Macha for the putrid staff that he has, however, the strange lineups and continous losses to inferior teams makes his firing very possible. Therefore I will not bet you 1 Canadian dollar....or weasel.

Master Reid said...

Definite possibility. Seriously, Corey Patterson? I didn't have a chance to lambaste FPMKE for his insinuation that Corey Patterson might be a viable option for a major league baseball team. And don't forget the other bad omen that's followed the Macha regime: the fact that they hired a potential replacement to be the bench coach.

I'm curious where Attanasio has been in all this. It seems like he's been awfully quiet since the Great Shake-Up. I can't imagine him being willing to go through another year like this one.

It's a tougher call about Gamel now than it was 2 months ago. Mcgehee has been one of the hottest hitters in the lineup, and appears to be vying to be the everyday 3rd baseman next year. Whether that is a good idea or not is a topic for another post, but I can understand them not wanting to take him out of the lineup. We are still trying to win some of these games... Allegedly.

Rubie Q said...

I don't disagree about McGehee; I was questioning Macha's reasoning for sitting Gamel. We want to get him into a groove in BP? If that's the real reason, that's just stupid.

Plus, even if McGehee is your regular third baseman next year, that doesn't mean Gamel's out of the picture. He could be moved to right field if Hart is dealt. Hence: I'd like to see him get as many major league at-bats as possible before next year.

FPMKE said...

The Willie Randolph thing crossed my mind... Macha is kind of a sitting duck at this point.

I absolutely agree that Gamel should be getting more at-bats but I don't think he's going to be playing 3rd next year.

re: Corey Patterson... I said taking a look couldn't be a terrible thing. Given his performance, I was wrong. But hey, free look! It's like walking into a Jimmy John's for a smell.