Monday, October 5, 2009

Dear Brett Favre,

Congratulations on a great game. I'm a Packer fan first and foremost and as a Packer fan I've seen a lot of your 273 games and I think tonight's performance might be one of the top 5 football games of your career. You were nearly flawless going 24-31, 274 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions. You've got one hell of a running back in the backfield with you, an offensive line that gives you literally all day to make plays, and receivers that catch the ball when the ball is thrown where it needs to be. As much as I wanted you to fail tonight it was a nice stroll down memory lane and you are a great quarterback, despite being a selfish, egotistical pre-madonna who held our franchise hostage for the last 6 years of your career with all the retirement talk. I think after you finally do retire and get enshrined in the Hall of Fame as a Packer (I hope), I'll love you again, but I stand by my team and my general manager and still believe we made the right decision in going with Aaron Rodgers.

I only have one request, one wish for the rest of your season. Please stay healthy for 4 more weeks. You owe it to the fans to show up in Lambeau, start the game, take your boo's like a man, and try and beat us on our turf which maybe the last thing to check-off on your career to-do list, aside from winning another Super Bowl. The weather might not be as nice as the air conditioned dome. Our defense is going to have a new game plan to stop the offense. We may not hold AP to only 55 yards but you can't possibly look as good as you did last night. Aren't you contractually obligated to make a Brett Favre bone-headed play at-least once during a game?

Be ready, the Packers are going to use the bye week to get everyone healthy and focused for the rest of the year and take care of business against the Lions and Browns before the Rematch of the Century. Hopefully our offensive and defensive play callers will figure out what the hell they are doing. Our offensive line is bad, but I doubt we'll give up 7 sacks again as Clifton will give Jared Allen a little more of a fight. Our QB is going to learn to throw the ball away, not force things ala 1994 Brett Favre, and not turn the ball over essentially 3 times if you include the goal line stand.

So Brett, enjoy your 40th birthday and good luck against the Rams, Ravens, and Steelers and we'll see ya back in your old stomping grounds on November 1st.

Love,

Softball's Tony Gwynn (on behalf of most Packer fans...I think)

8 comments:

EMoney said...

I've finally calmed down a little after a solid 6 hrs of sleep, so I've got that going for me.

I however still can't believe how unprepared this team looked last night. The lack of intensity/urgency/focus took me back to the Mike Sherman era all over again....ughhhhhhh. Any hopes that this GB team was going to be really competetive this year was really shot down last night. Sure they did a good job on AP, but it looks like they overcompensated for the running game, and underestimated what #4 can still do. Just my opinion. A lot of things need to be worked out if we have any hopes of making the playoffs. If they don't, we will see a lot of the same when the Vikings roll into Lambeau. I don't know what I'm more concerned about at this time, the O-line or Defense as a whole. They're equally bad, but I'll go with the O-line simply because we can't continue to let our QB of the future get his ass beat week in and week out. Looks like the bye week came at a perfect time (although it would have been nice going in with a W).

EMoney said...

Oh and by the way Baffoon - what was it you were saying about those stats that I was throwing out there.....they don't mean sh*t in this kind of game or something like that? Well, I'm pretty sure we lost this game due to the 2 matchups(or mismatches) that I pointed out. Unfortunately I think that only 1 of the 2 is correctable, that being the defensive scheming. The unfixable problem, I believe, is the O-line. I just don't think we have the talent there.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

$-It was pretty obvious that after the first drive of the game when AP was shoved down our throats that the defense made the adjustments to shut him down the rest of the game, which they did a fine job of, and let #4 try to beat you. #4 was awesome last night and it helped that he didn't have any pass rush which gave him all day to find his receivers. hell any QB would have looked good given how much time he had. Plus throw in the 14 pts off turnovers in the first half and the failed 4th and goal and that's the ball game. I don't think we were unprepared at all as I think we executed the game plan. the offense, when A-rodg had time looked pretty good and drove the ball up and down the field using a nice combo of short passes, screens, and shots down the field. the defense held AP to 55 yards which is a very nice accomplishment, it just so happened #4 had one hell of a game.

Charlie Weis's Gunt said...

#4 had a great game. Now you Packer fans know what it's like to be on the other side of #4...sucks doesn't it? Looking at the game from an unbiased point of view - I would be concerned about the Pack offense. For the first 56mins of the game - the packers had 1 offensive score. The only other Packer game I've watched from start to finish was the Bears/Packers and it was a similar story - with the exception of the last TD - I think all of your scores came off of Cutler interceptions putting you in awesome field position (ie the 4yard line).

Tough loss - and unless the Vikings have a serious injury to a game changing player (Favre, Peterson, Allen), I don't see them losing this division.

Devil's Threesome said...

The Queens looked good and so did Favre. The have to come after him more on 3rd and long in the next match-up. The North is the Vikings to lose.

EMoney said...

STG - I agree that an adjustment was made after the first game, but adjustments should be happening continuously throughout the game. Not simply, Oh AP is killing us, we need to put 8 in the box for the rest of the game on running plays. What ended up killing us is sitting back in cover 2 all night without a pass rush allowing Brett to pick the def apart. He still has a strong enough arm to stick it in anywhere, something I'm guessing this defense isn't quite used to.

I agree that the offense for the most part is ok. I really liked the early game plan of screens and 3 step drops/quick dump offs, which prevented Rodgers from taking hits and sacks. The turnovers obviously killed us, but the Vikes marched 70+ yards to score on both of those, so that's on the def.

I don't know, I guess to sum it up, after last night I still have the same complaints that I had before the game kicked off. 1. Sieve defense - these guys CANNOT get off the field on 3rd downs which is compounding to long drives and tiredness. 2. O-line - All TT's guys and they all suck! What the hell is Tauscher doing these days?

EMoney said...

Mistake - first sentence above, drive should replace game. Sorry for any confusion.

You are a Baffoon said...

Fuck you Favre...Sign Tauscher NOW...