Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Haunted Hoops, continued

With Midnight Madness already behind us and Haunted Hoops approaching at ludacris speed, I can't help but get a little fired up about the upcoming season. Tall Titan over at MUScoop posted a great thread that I thought everyone here should take a gander at. (You will need a solid 15 min's to get through all of it, but it's totally worth it)

www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1304.0

It's a poll of Dominic James' greatest play/performance while at MU. What makes it great is that for every possible choice (total of 17), Titan has posted the video clip for you to view. This will officially get you fired up for Marquette basketball! While watching I couldn't help but be reminded of how incredible the seniors were and how they will be sorely missed. Further, while D Wade was obviously an incredible player at MU, I don't know that there is another player that has ever entertained me nearly as much as Dom did. And this is in spite of the fact that he could never lead MU to a long post season run. It's a shame he doesn't have a consistent enough jumper to make it in the Association because he would continue to give us those "holy shit, did you just see that?" moments.

So (now that I'm done crying).......now that James, McNeal, and Matthews are out of the picture, and the next generation is officially donning MU gear, who do we predict will be the next face of the Marquette franchise? Similar to the '05 class, there is a lot of talent in this year's class. That being said, do we foresee a 3-amigo-like effort by the likes of Maymon, Williams, Cadougan (after he recovers from the ruptured achilles' of course)? Will Maymon step up to the physicality of the Big East and stand out alone? Will Lazar have a Steve Novak-like senior season and bust out on the national level, in doing so, lead his young team to a successful Big East season? Or will we have to wait for the arrival of Vander Blue before we see our next impact player?

There are far too many uncertainties going into this next season to make anything predictable. However, one thing that I can predict with confidence, is that this next generation of players is going to be interesting, entertaining, and frustrating all at the same time. Anything resembling the '05-'06 season will be a success in my mind. Stay tuned for my next post which will include predictions for the '09-'10 season.

9 comments:

Master Reid said...

I'm getting fired up too dude. This is an interesting question you pose. I can't think of a time when the program faced this issue. Usually you already know who the next star is going to be. In our time it's gone from Wardle (ugh) to Henry & Wade, from Wade to Diener, from Diener to Novak, from Novak to the 3 amigos, 3 amigos to Lazar. But I don't know that any of the current juniors or sophomores are the next face of the program.

Jimmy Butler would seem like the next in line, but I don't think anyone believes he is that type of player. Cadougan's injury really sets him back, but a point guard always has that potential. It's generally tougher for a JUCO player to become that guy because they don't have as much time in the program as does a freshman. So, I guess, if it's anyone on the roster right now that will be introduced on before a 2011 ESPN game like, "________ and the #15 Marquette Golden Eagles take on..." then it's Jeronne Maymon. But more likely it'll be someone else by that time.

Devil's Threesome said...

We have just over two weeks until the opener, it's time for some preview content. I need to bear down and research the Big East this year.

EMoney said...

I don't think Butler can be a standout player.....more of a #2 guy. Maymon has that potential, but I don't know how good of a shooter he is. He seems like more of a points in the paint, crashing boards, etc. kind of guy. While he is undersized, I can see him getting 7-10 boards per game in his soph. year (similar to Lazar). If he can manage to have a decent outside jumper, he could be an absolute beast due to his ability to drive and work in the post.

I predict that by the '11 season, Maymon and Blue will continue what they started at Madison Memorial, and be the faces of Marquette basketball on a national level.

EMoney said...

D3 - agreed. I will try and get the "Big East predictions" post up this weekend. That should give us some time during the weekend to overlook the schedule and break it down.

Master Reid said...

Fear not, I'll soon be pinning you all down for the QatB Big East predictions post. Stay tuned.

Devil's Threesome said...

So-who's going to haunted hoops? How about we meet at Heg's at 6. Rubes - I can drive

Rubie Q said...

If we're meeting at Heg's, I'm going to go there straight from work. I ain't riding in your fucking K-car.

EMoney said...

D3 is in the Klan? Hmm, I never knew.

Master Reid said...

Oh, THAT Klan. All this time I just thought he was Scottish.

Anyways, I'm in for Hoops. I got my tickets today so that's enough to get me ready to go watch some basketball.