Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wait, That's Ahman Green's Music!

Yes, like some kind of storyline out of the WWE, the Green Bay Packers today announced they have re-signed their #2 all-time rusher Ahman Green. And here he comes, running in to make the save on the Packer offense. Sure, he's not getting down to the ring quite as quick as we remember him in his prime. That limp has gotten considerably more pronounced since last we saw him. And his old, familiar ring attire is valiantly attempting to hold back the weight he's put on since he was the super-duper star that we all remember. But the crowd still roars when his music hits, and when they see him coming into the arena they just know that he is going to turn the tide in favor of their heroes.

Ah, if only it was that simple in the NFL. Unfortunately, no one is going to be falling down for Ahman in the League. And last I checked, it's still frowned upon to use a steel chair on one's enemies on the gridiron. So, what exactly does the return of Ahman mean for the Packers? One thing it most certainly means is we get to hear E$ once again tell us how right he was in saying the Packers should've traded him after the 2003 season. But besides that, is there anything that a 32 year old RB, who has only carried the ball 144 times in the last 2 seasons really brings to the table? I guess depth. Say what you want about him, but if Ryan Grant goes down tomorrow, I don't think anyone will be making the "it's ok, we've got Ahman Green" argument. Maybe he's a better blocker/receiver than the guys we currently have healthy, and can add something else to the pass game? Maybe better on screen passes? But then again, they never really run screens anymore. So, I don't know. I think it's an interesting move. But not necessarily interesting/good.

8 comments:

Rubie Q said...

This really came out of nowhere. Yesterday, the discussion was: "They were doing him a favor, giving him a workout to get his name on the wire so another team might bring him in." Then, all of a sudden, it turned into: "No, wait, they're actually going to sign him."

My analysis: Eh. Whatever.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

plus he'll be great on special teams

KL Snow said...

This is an interesting story, but really I just stopped by to give you props for an excellent headline that drew me in.

Jessica said...

Eye-catching living room furniture that not only looks amazing but is also affordable, check out this classy Buffets

Master Reid said...

Well, I can assure "Jessica" that this Buffet is anything but classy.

I wish my photoshop skills were better. I may have tried to put Ahman's head on aged Hacksaw Jim Duggan's body or something.

EMoney said...

What's this? A female? And she has eye eye-catching living room furniture that not only looks amazing but is also affordable? I think this is a buffet first.

Back to the matter at hand. First of all, good memory regarding my thoughts on trading Green back in the day. Sure it was a brilliant thought on my part, but honestly this whole outsmarting Ted Thompson thing is getting kind of old.

Second of all, this signing means nothing. Grant is a mediocre running back(by the way that phat contract he signed is looking pretty crappy right about now).....but Green is 6 years past his prime so he's only here in case of emergency me thinks.....and our O-line is atrocious to boot.

Summation - You could put AP in the backfield and he wouldn't be overly successful IMO. The question is, will Ted address this HUGE problem by actually attemtping to sign quality linemen......or will he continue to be stubborn and attempt to create an O-line out of 3rd-7th round draft choices? I predict the latter, and our QB of the future/Brett Favre replacement will be the one that hurts the most because of it.

Master Reid said...

And for one more record, that was Mike Sherman back in '03. I could've outsmarted him, and I'm borderline retarded. Sorry, mentally handi...er...disab....I mean....challenged.

EMoney said...

I stand corrected. Sorry, we've been dealing with incompetent GM's for so many years now they seem to blend together into 1 crappy uber-GM.