Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Big East Slate

Whether you like it or not, it's officially GO TIME for the Marquette Golden Eagles as they open up Big East play in West Virginia this evening in a matchup with Huggy Bear's Mountaineers. This looks to be an excruciating matchup for our first Big East test. West Virginia is one of six teams in D1 that remain undefeated, are ranked somewhere near the top five in all polls, and have one of the most unusually talented and athletic starting 5 in all of D1 hoops in which ALL starters stand at 6'7" or taller. As we all know MU is still undersized (and lacking depth), so this game has the potential to get ugly. I'm not going to break down tonight's matchup here however(prediction = loss). Nope. Instead, I thought it would be a good time to get in our bold predictions for the '09-'10 season, since we have yet to do so (where u at Reid?). So, without further ado......

@ West Virginia - Loss
Villanova - Loss
Georgetown - Win
@ Villanova - Loss
Providence - Win
@ Depaul - Win
@ Syracuse - Loss
Rutgers - Win
@ Connecticut - Loss
Depaul - Win
@ Providence - Win
South Florida - Win
Pittsburgh - Win
@ Cincinnati - Loss
@ St. Johns - Win
@ Seton Hall - Loss
Louisville - Loss
Notre Dame - Win

Big East Record - 10-8! Really?

Note: Pomeroy predicts an 11-7 record to finish with 20 wins overall and likely NCAA tournament birth. (And believe it or not Pomeroy is actually pretty good at predicting these things)

Without looking at the schedule, and knowing what lack of heighth and depth we have, I would have blindly said that 0.500 is unrealistic and 6-7 wins is likely. However, after looking at the schedule, a 0.500 record or better actually seems doable (Stipulations - No more injuries, and continued improvement of DJO, Buycks, and EWill!). The first 4 games of conference play are just ridiculous.....we know that.....the whole nation knows that as all 3 opponents are currently sitting in the top 15. So going 0-4 or 1-3 is expected and allowed I would say. The question is can we bounce back and remain competetive for what really is a fair remaining schedule?

I set the over/under at 8. Place your bets!

15 comments:

Rubie Q said...

Under. I predict 6-12.

Remember, we're the team that lost at home to the worst team in the ACC.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

i'm with you $ I think 10-8 is a definite possibility. If I go game by game I agree with all of your picks but I'd swap out Louisville and Pitt as i think the C-A-R-D-S are not very good. I'd take 9-9 too as we might drop a game we "shouldn't".

EMoney said...

I'm not going to argue with you Rub's. I was surprised by my prediction as well, so 6 wins is definitely possible. However, I'm not going to base my prediction on 1 game in early December. We were coming off of a stretch in which we played 4 games in 6 days, won the first 3, and lost the 4th in heartbreaking and mentally defeating fashion. I think it was somewhat of a hangover. Also, with so many new faces, it's hard to expect them to play well together 4 weeks in.

Rubie Q said...

I could be persuaded that I'm putting too much emphasis on one game, except:

(1) It was at home.
(2) It was against a miserable opponent.
(3) We had an 11 point lead at half time.
(4) We completely stopped playing defense in the second half.

It's going to be an up and down year, and you can't afford to be up and down in the BEast. 6-12.

EMoney said...

Rub - So are you saying they've peaked already?

Rubie Q said...

Maybe. But I don't know that a team that's as up and down as this one can have a peak. "Peak," in my mind, implies a sustained string of success. I don't know that we're capable of that.

Master Reid said...

Interesting picks here. I would change the G'Town game. I'm very interested in that Cincy game. I think that could be a game between a team picked low that's starting to find it's groove, and a team that was picked high and is starting to show some cracks. We've said all along that 9-9 would be a very welcome surprise.

EMoney said...

Peak doesn't necessarily mean string of success. Would you prefer that I use the term "ceiling"? ie. They will not improve as a team throughout the season.

IMO, this team will continue to get better. Lazar will be Lazar, 16-18ppg and 6-7 rbds. Jimmy is continuing to produce more every game by being more aggressive on the offensive end. He is doing more than just putting back offensive boards. DJO can flat out ball! He needs to shoot more and I suspect as he gets more comfortable in D1 he will put up bigger #'s (possibly 20+ on some nights). Same goes for Buycks. He has shown flashes, but can't do it consistently enough. Similar to Jerel's frosh year. I can see him scoring close to 10ppg as the year goes on.

Rubie Q said...

Oh, I think they'll improve. And I think most of the other teams in the BEast -- save for DePaul and maybe Seton Hall -- will improve as the year goes on, too.

I fully expect to beat someone we shouldn't, and to lose to a couple teams we should beat.

Devil's Threesome said...

8-10 is my prediction, but I'm tempted to go higher b/c the schedule is so manageable after the first four. Shuld be fun - someone better be yelling for me at Nova and Gtown.

BTW - i plunked down 15 euros for espn360 Europe for the monthly pass and the fucker won't work. I could have watched WVU, Nova and the Husker bowl game. Fuckers.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

wow kudos to D3 for checking in from the other side of the Atlantic...we miss you!

Rubie Q said...

Bailamos!

FPMKE said...

D3, watch out for the beso negro.

EMoney said...

Its pretty fucking sad that I know that we will find a way to blow big leads in these games. I am speechless. Hit a fucking freethrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew that bullshit prayer at the end of the half was going to come back to haunt us. When can we win one of these??

EMoney said...

Shoot a great percentage from 3. Completely win the turnover battle. Still find a way to lose. If you can't win tonight, when can you?