Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Done Deal


ESPN.com is reporting that the Brewers have gotten their man, inking Randy Wolf to a 3 year, $29.75M deal. It's definitely a gamble, but I guess it's one you have to take at this point. The Brewers have to add pitching, and everyone knows it. They came out firing at the top guy on their list (aside from John Lackey, who they clearly deemed out of their price range). Surely there will be more to come, but I doubt it will be anything until January when the prices might come down on the more middle tier guys who have yet to sign. I guess one thing is for sure, he can't be any worse than what we had this year.

11 comments:

Rubie Q said...

Meet the new Soup, same as the old Soup.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

add latroy hawkins too. 2 yrs. 7.5 million.

Master Reid said...

No no no... New Soup is left-handed. And I don't know that I'm a big fan of signing The Troy. I foresee some very nervous innings when he comes through those bullpen doors. That being said, I like the idea that we got somebody else in that 'pen.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I was going to say the same thing about being a lefty. Also, he has a bigger injury history. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

I love calling him The Troy. Front runner for new favorite nickname.

EMoney said...

Another waste of $!

Are these goals regulation size or what!

Rubie Q said...

At the very least, SVJJ has a reason to play Reel Big Fish's version of "Hungry Like the Wolf" during games now.

Master Reid said...

Ooh, good point. Love me some RBF. I've been trying to get myself excited about this, and I'm struggling with it. It has to be better than what we had last year...right...right? And it's not quite the albatross of a contract that we gave Suppan, so if it doesn't work out we won't be completely destroyed by it, or at least we might be able to trade him at the deadline next year if it's not working out and we need to dump salaray, or something. Right?

Master Reid said...

Or "salary" as it were.

Rubie Q said...

I think one would be hard pressed to put together a worse season than the turds Soup and Loop came up with last season. So, yeah, I'd hope Wolf will be better than that.

EMoney said...

Go big or go home! We continue to drown in SP mediocrity.

Master Reid said...

The sad thing is, Wolf is what constitutes "going big" in this year's free agent market. There's just not a lot of options out there.