Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Congrats to The Hawk






Somewhere VJJ is getting a tingly feeling is his jeans. His boyhood hero, Andre Dawson, is this year's only inductee to the baseball Hall of Fame. So it's gonna be a party in the VJJ house tonight! Bust out the Expos jersey baby!

Those that didn't make it include Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar. My only question on those is "why the fuck not?" Alomar is one of the top second basemen to ever play the game by whatever number you want to look at. My guess is that this is backlash for the ugly spitting incident, involving umpire John Hirschbeck, back in 1996. If you don't recall just how ugly that scene was, here's a little refresher:




Add that in with the ridiculous sanctity that some writers place on being a "First Ballot" hall of famer, and you have a completely plausible (if mildly insane) explanation for Alomar's omission. If he's not in next year you writers are going to have a lot of 'splaining to do.

As for Blyleven, who does this guy have to blow to finally get into the GD Hall of Fame? I guess he'll just have take the Jim Rice approach and keeping going 'til he finds the right one. I have to believe he'll be in eventually, right? If Blyleven had 13 more wins (He finished with 287) he would have been one of those precious "First Ballot" guys 13 year ago. As it is he's just a guy with 3,701 strikeouts (5th all-time), a K:BB ratio of nearly 3 to 1, 60 career shutouts, and just two more shots at enshrinement. He got 400 votes this year, he needed 405. One has to wonder if this is as close as Bert gets.

14 comments:

You are a Baffoon said...

Find your Andre Dawson baseball cards they just went up $.25 cents.

Sheets' Va Jay Jay said...

I am very excited. I was planning a grand post explaining my love and excitement. I hope to have that ready soon.

PaulNoonan said...

Andre Dawson - .279/.323/.482

Jeromy Burnitz - .253/.345/.481

I'm just saying.

Rubie Q said...

Blyleven needs to get in next year -- not only because he earned it, but also because I don't want to hear him bitch about this anymore.

PaulNoonan said...

Andre Dawson - .279/.323/.482

Geoff Jenkins - .275/.344/.490

I'm just saying.

PaulNoonan said...

If I were Bert Blyleven I would be complaining about this incessantly. I would be on talk radio all the time, I would insult sportswriters by name, and when I did get in I would give the most insufferable speech ever made in which I would call Dan Shaughnessy a mouth-breathing troglodyte and demand that Murray Chass's pulse be checked.

It is a travesty that he is not in.

Rubie Q said...

Andrew Dawson: 17 seasons of 118+ games played.

Jeromy Burnitz: 10 seasons of 118+ games played.

Geoff Jenkins: 8 seasons of 115+ games played.

PaulNoonan said...

Andre Dawson - .279/.323/.482

Russell Branyan - .234/.331/.491

PaulNoonan said...

Way to eek that 118 game and 121 game season in there.

Rubie Q said...

Thanks. And I misspoke on Burnitz -- he's got 10 seasons of 111+ games played (which includes a 126 gamer and a 130 gamer, in addition to the season of 111).

PaulNoonan said...

Andre Dawson - .279/.323/.482

Ron Santo - .277/.362/.464

I'm just saying.

Rubie Q said...

Paul, what's the source of your dislike for the Hawk?

PaulNoonan said...

1. Brewers fan, not a Cubs fan (though I did watch a bunch of Cubs games due to WGN).

2. No big problem with the Hawk, but just as I'll have a conniption if anyone suggests that Morris is better than Blyleven or Schilling, I am also offended by someone who I consider to be a marginal Hall of Famer at best getting in ahead of Alomar, Raines, Larkin, Martinez, and Trammel.

3. I think he is bolstered by how people feel about his undeserved 1987 season where he was almost as good as Jerry Mumphrey. Almost, but not quite.

4. I hate "The knees." People get hurt and decline. Everyone. I don't want to here about it.

5. Dawson ranks 20th all-time in outs.

6. Jay Jaffe's JAWS system is not a fan:

"Nonetheless, according to JAWS, Dawson comes up well short of the Hall of Fame standards for center fielders, falling about nine wins shy on the career level, and four wins shy on the peak level. Judging him as a right fielder—where he actually played more games (1,284 to 1,027) but accumulated fewer WARP—doesn't help, as the standards are even higher there, and putting him in the mix with all Hall of Fame outfielders, who average 70.3 career/44.4 peak/57.4 JAWS, doesn't enhance his case either. His seven-year peak score ranks only 243rd of all time, and 19th among center fielders, below non-HoFers like Jim Edmonds, Jimmy Wynn, Bernie Williams, and Brett Butler; it would rank 25th among right fielders."

Master Reid said...

Noonan makes an excellent case here, and I thought more baseball writers would come down on that side of the line. I thought that OBP would be more of a sticking point. Not that walking is everything, but Dawson never drew more than 45 walks in a season; and that's while drawing double digit intentional passes.

Joe Posnanski wrote broke down his HoF ballot on si.com yesterday, and compared Dave Parker (who garnered just 82 votes) to Dawson:

Dawson: .279/.323/.482 119 OPS+
Parker: .290/.339/.471 121 OPS+

About Parker: "Two-time batting champ, he had a better peak, got on base about as many times in a shorter career while making 500 fewer outs, was a star player on a World Series champ, and had a 147 OPS+ over his five-year peak, while Dawson only once had that high an OPS+ for a single season."

And Parker basically threw away some potentially productive years of his prime with drugs and getting fat. I'm not saying Dawson didn't deserve it, but it's easy to see how one can make the argument.

The whole thing is worth a read (though I prefer you don't, so you won't know where I steal all my research from)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/01/04/hall.ballot/2.html#ixzz0bwMnXTNy