Tuesday, January 19, 2010

DePaul Really Does Suck

It has been quite some time since I posted as the artist formerly known as FPMKE so I thought I better get back on the crazy train here before Rubie & SBTG banish me to the land of wind and dust.

Seeing as I disappointed my family by refusing to be a legacy at DePaul (Grandfather, Dad, Sister, and Brother-in-law are all alums), I thought it would be appropriate for me to write some sort of scathing post about DePaul basketball. I was hoping to find a nice DePaul basketball blog to reference and hyperlink so we could all take turns poking fun at their losing ways. Sadly, the glory days of Ray Meyer are long gone and after several coaching changes, a bout of talented players leaving early for the NBA, a logo change, and most recently putting Jerry Wainwright out to pasture and an injury to Mac Koshwal, the program is left in shambles and the fans have no energy at all. Aside from some poorly populated blogs that are affiliated with major sites (Scout, Rivals, etc.), there are no clear cut blogs dedicated to loving/hating DePaul.


DePaul Basketball does have 2 (yes two!) Facebook fan pages... one with 48 fans and with 107 fans. The DePaul LaCrosse team had one fan page with 112 fans. The DePaul Blue Crew (which appears to be some sort of official athletics forum) has 167 fans. For you non-Facebook users, Marquette Golden Eagles athletics had 10,094 fans as of this morning. Someone in the DePaul Athletics Marketing Office just is not doing a good job of making use of a free marketing tool. That, and the team sucks.


I did find this post about student tickets for the "Rivalry Night" game against Marquette. DePaul is actually offering students free tickets, credit towards their Blue Demon Reward Points for attending (that can be traded in for great prizes), free transportation, a free t-shirt (apparently an unlimited supply), and a free glow stick (that will likely be thrown at Marquette fans or on the court in disgust). Now if that doesn't draw fans, I don't know what will (besides putting a competitive product on the floor)... this could really screw D3s attendance projection.


I feel like I'm kicking a dead horse with this post but the point is that there is no spirit for DePaul Basketball. The school makes its fan-base travel all the way to Rosemont to see a crappy team play in a half-empty (and I'm being generous here) arena. This program is a shadow of what it once was and has a lot of work to do if it truly wants to be competitive in the BEast.

7 comments:

Devil's Threesome said...

I love how the headline on the game link is "Campus Event" yet they have to bus students 45 minutes to go to the game.

More piling on - that DePaul demon logo is horrific. It's just a terrible tangle of blue and black, you can't even make out what it's supposed to be. The "D" logo is decent.

Is Sammy Mejia playing on Wednesday?

Mr. Sparkle said...

Agreed, the new logo is terrible. I'm not ashamed to say that I was a big fan of the old Blue Demon logo; still have a hat with it.

Sammy Mejia... HA!

EMoney said...

The question on my mind regarding Wednesday's game is not whether or not MU will win, but will Junior Cadougan play?

Rubie Q said...

I think Sammy Mejia has a better chance of seeing the floor than Junior Cadougan. At least, I hope that's the case.

Brian said...

FYI: All DePaul students get 1 free ticket to every DePaul game and they hand out a t-shirt when we play MU every year. I still have mine from 8-9 years ago.

Devil - I wish Sammy were playing at least we might score more than 60 points.

Mr. Sparkle - Logo does suck, they need to go back to the actual Demon with the tail and pitchfork like they had back in the day.

Mr. Sparkle said...

Whoa, drawing the Blue Demon fans to the Buffet! Thanks for commenting Brian.

Rubie Q said...

I feel bad for DePaul fans, because it sure seems like there are no answers to the many problems facing the program. You might as well put an "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here" banner over the entrances at the Rosemont.