Monday, January 25, 2010

Instant Karma, Delayed.

For a while there, it looked like whatever demon Brett Favre sold his soul to was going to triumph over the Vikings' history of post-season futility, over all the bad karma the 'Queens have engendered this season, and even over Brett's Gunslinger tendencies.

And then: oh, sweet vengeance. The Brett Favre who haunted my nightmares as a Packer fan for 15+ years showed up and made the one throw that you cannot make in the waning seconds of the game, with your team on the outskirts of field goal position: across his body, into traffic, over the middle. (Could Ryan Longwell have made a 55-yard field goal? Fuck if I know, but if there's one thing I've learned about football, it's that it's much easier to attempt a field goal when your team actually has the ball.)

In a way, it was kind of like all the Ghosts of Favre Past showed up for the NFC Championship Game. The end-of-game pick evoked memories of a game I'm still not ready to talk about, as well as the beach ball Brett threw in overtime of the Divisional play-off game against Philly. The six Viking fumbles called to mind Brett's six-pick stinkbomb against the Rams. It was beautiful and painful and glorious and gut-wrenching all at the same time.

Favre Watch 8: It's the Vikings Problem Now! starts in earnest this morning ...

3 comments:

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

assuming the old man hangs em up...his last throw with the Falcons, Packers, Jets and Vikings were all INT's.

last night I was jumping around his my room like a 3rd grader after the Favre pick as if the Packers had just won the Super Bowl screaming "he did it...he did it...i can't believe he did it"

Rubie Q said...

Wow. Good tidbit, SBTG. I did not know that.

Ice Fishing with Kirby said...

Even though I did lock myself in last night, I did manage to avoid all bathtubs with toasters in them. Also, thanks for the short-lived condolences.