Monday, April 12, 2010

There Are Two Types Of Moments In A Baseball Game:

One is the "shit happens" moment, when a guy makes a freak play that he couldn't duplicate if you gave him 100 more chances. Nick Stavinoha's one-legged, crouching seven-iron against Trevor Hoffman on Friday certainly qualifies as a "shit happens" moment.

The other type of moment is the "oh, shit" moment. For all intents and purposes, this is the exact opposite of the "shit happens" moment: it's not at all fluky. You can see it coming from a mile away. The back-to-back tape measure jobs that The Hoff gave up to Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday last night qualify as "oh, shit" moments: when you saw that Hoffman was throwing 90% fastballs, and that said fastballs weren't breaking 84 mph, all you could do was cross your fingers and hope that Pujols and Holliday would get over-anxious. But they didn't, and those fastballs went where they're supposed to go, which is to say: BYE BYE.

So far, Trevor's had two "shit" moments on the year. I hope he's getting that shit out of his system right quick, because I'm not suffering through Gagne 2.0.

6 comments:

Gregor said...

Yep, except in the Gregor household those are "ohyougottabefuckingkiddingme" moments and "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" moments.

Master Reid said...

Yeah dude, that was rough. After Pujols went yard, I was thinking "just pitch around Holliday". They had some rookie on deck and I would've been fine if they would've decided to take their chances with him.

I hope that Hoff does get his shit together. I was pondering who Plan B for the closer job would be, and I didn't like what I was coming up with. As I write this Aramais Ramirez goes yard to make it 8-1. I guess Trevor gets the day off today. Balls.

Devil's Threesome said...

Doug Davis certainly provided some "oh, shit" moments yesterday. I was following game in a boring meeting when the Cubs had two on in a 0-0 game. It was 5-0 on my next peek at the score.

Mr. Sparkle said...

That game blew.

Can't wait to see Suppan make his first start of the season on Thursday. Shit.

李惠玲 said...

無一事而不學,無一時而不學,無一處而不學。......................................................

吳怡迪 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄