Wednesday, June 2, 2010

INSTANT REPLAY...

Two words that strike a chord with any baseball purist, but after tonight's blown call you are going to have a hard time defending why baseball shouldn't use more instant replay. Over the past few years there have been multiple instances of just obviously wrong calls. I understand the human element of baseball and I'm not saying instant replay should be used for ball/strike calls, but more objective calls such as fair/foul and safe/out should be reviewable plays. Allow the manager a challenge or two. I guarantee that the majority of the games won't even have instant replays but there has to be a mechanism in place to correct obviously incorrect calls.

The call by Jim Joyce is a disgrace and its just another recent example of umpires inserting themselves into the game and the spotlight. A bad call cost Gallaraga something that has only happened 20 times in the history of major league baseball and there's nothing anybody can do about it but bitch, whine, and apologize. After the Willie Mayes catch in center for the first out it seemed meant to be. Aren't there unwritten rules in baseball that say a pitcher with a 3-0 perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th and a bang-bang play at first would get the call to complete the perfect game?

Anyway, now that I'm done bitching, whining, and apologizing, it got me to thinking about the near no-hitter that Yo threw against the Reds I think. Aside from the perfect game vs. a no-hitter comparison, which would be worse: losing a no-hitter/perfect game because of a blown umpire call or because of a bad scoring decision? I'd give the edge to blown umpire call because safe/out is less subjective than a official scorers ruling.

6 comments:

Rubie Q said...

I don't know that yesterday was an example of an umpire trying to take the spotlight. I think dude just fucked up a call, big time, and will have to live with it for the rest of his life. That's not the kind of spotlight that anybody -- even Joe West -- wants.

Devil's Threesome said...

Agree with Rubes. The dude was crying as he apologized to Gallaraga and has been very contrite in the press. I feel sorry for the guy.

Gallaraga has handled this like a class act. It really speaks to his character. I doubt I would be able to handle it as well as he has.

Softball's Tony Gwynn said...

I agree with both of you and Jim Joyce should be commended for coming out and facing the media and apologizing in person. I guess what I meant to say was umpires are becoming more and more a part of the game story by blowing obvious calls (fair ball call in the playoffs) and arguing with players/managers (joe west vs. the white sox, angel hernandez vs. the blue jays, and roy oswalt etc. )

Master Reid said...

I would like to take this moment to commend the commissioner on NOT reversing this call like some people think he should. That would be a very bad precedent to set.

As for replay, I am on record as being absolutely against more replay in baseball. This does nothing to change my stance. In a game where people's biggest complaint is that the game takes too long or moves to slowly, the last thing you want to install is a mechanism that will be routinely used to further bog down the game. There are sooooo many close plays in a baseball game, I think the idea that if a challenge system (or something like that)were in place that it would be rarely used is crazy talk.

And lastly, the idea that this call was a "disgrace" is a bit harsh. The reaction of everyone involved has been a product of the amount of respect that people in the game have for him as an ump. If Joe West had made that call, I guarantee the reaction would be completely different.

And lastly, I thought Galarraga's reaction was pretty good. And if he can be ok with it, then why can't everyone else. I mean, it wasn't your perfect game he blew.

Rubie Q said...

Oh, Reid. Now I must break you.

Master Reid said...

Oh come now. Like you didn't see that take coming. On a baseball replay post? Please. That whole post was Reid Bait. And here I came, up from the depths to hammer it.