Monday, August 9, 2010

We Have a Trade

The Milwaukee Brewers finally found a dance partner.....and they found this partner in their own division. The Cincinnati Redlegs agreed to send the underachieving 27 year old "prospect" Chris Dickerson to Milwaukee for aging vet Jim Edmonds. Whatever. Not exactly an organizatioin changing event, but I'll take it. It appears that whatever the organization saw in Carlos Gomez was an illusion, so center field is definitely a position of need. Locally, and when I say "locally" I mean Cincinnati of course, the Reds fan base is not at all happy with the deal. Dickerson has been one of the up and comers for years, but health problems have limited his overall production and consistency which has prevented a prolonged stay in the bigs. This season, though, he has been playing well in tripleA......enough that I recall many reds fans on the local AM's discussing how he should be called up to be a contributor for the playoff run.

While Dickerson is already 27, I think that overall it's a good move for Milwaukee. Moving Edmonds is a low to no risk move and considering our center field situation, why not gamble on Dickerson. He has showed flashes of good offensive ability, speed on the basepaths, and is solid in the field. He'll have roughly 8 weeks to show what he can do which essentially will be an audition for next season. So as I previously stated....I'll take it.

9 comments:

Master Reid said...

I'll take it. Dickerson isn't a prospect anymore, but there's potential there. He can play all 3 OF spots, run, and put the bat on the ball. I don't think he projects as a starter, but he seems like a nice bench guy. Carlos Gomez, adios. He's done here, he'll be included in some trade in the offseason. Lorenzo Cain is your starting CF from here on out.

Rubie Q said...

If we end up trading CarGo for a middle reliever, I'm going to be very, very sad.

Welcome to the fold, C-Dick.

Rubie Q said...

Oh, and don't look now, but JJ Hardy has gone .359 / .398 / .500 in the last month, and FanGraphs has him at 1.7 WAR despite the time he missed with injury.

In closing: fuck you with a tire iron, Doug.

EMoney said...

Reid - you really think Cain is the guy? Being out of the loop down here I have no idea about how he is doing. I thought this deal was made because we think Dickerson has a legit shot at being the starting CF. No?

Devil's Threesome said...

Everyone seems to love Cain. Everyone also loved Matt Gamel and Dameon Mason, too, so I'll hold my breath.

Devil's Threesome said...

Or, I won't hold my breath.

Master Reid said...

I think, that they think (or at least hope)that Cain is the CF of the future. I also think that if he hadn't broken his leg last year he would've been the CF this year and we would have never made that Gomez deal.

Rubie Q said...

Yeah, C-Dick isn't here to compete for the CF job. LoCain is getting the lion's share of the starts from here on out, which is one of the reasons JEd was willing to accept the trade.

Master Reid said...

And for what it's worth, I think Cain has played pretty well in his small sample thus far. He kind of seems a little bit like Gomez, except with a brain and the ability to shorten up with 2 strikes. I think he's going to be fine.